Make your own free website on


Japan Travel Bureau (Malaysia) Sdn. Bhd.(200323-V)

Japanese webpage:

Home Inquiry/FeedbackContents Search  

News   Products   Services



  Japan Rail Pass
Bullet train - Shinkansen

JR PAss JR Hokkaido JR East Pass JR West Pass JR Kyushu Pass

Domestic & Overseas Travel Japan Rail Pass Sunrise Tour Packages Hotels & Ryokans (Japan) Hotels worldwide
Who is eligible for a JAPAN RAIL PASS.
and prices.
How to obtain
How to turn in an exchange order to receive a JAPAN RAIL PASS.
Where exchange orders are sold.
How to make seat reservations
Stations with JAPAN RAIL PASS exchange offices.
Major JR lines, stations, and airports throughout Japan.
Helpful information for JR travel.
Japan's national Holidays
Who is eligible for a JAPAN RAIL PASS?

The JAPAN RAIL PASS is a special ticket that is available only to travelers visiting Japan from foreign countries for sight-seeing. To be eligible to purchase a JAPAN RAIL PASS you must meet one of the following two conditions.

1. You are a foreign tourist visiting Japan from abroad for sight-seeing, under the entry status of "temporary visitor."

"Temporary Visitor" entry status, according to Japanese Immigration Law, allows a stay in Japan of 15 days or 90 days for "sight-seeing, etc." If you apply for a "stay for sight-seeing" when you enter Japan, entry personnel will stamp your passport as "Temporary Visitor," as shown below. Only persons who have a passport bearing this stamp can use a JAPAN RAIL PASS.


Even if you visit Japan with an Exchange Order, to be turned in for a JAPAN RAIL PASS, the exchange cannot be made unless you have "Temporary Visitor" status; if you enter Japan under any other official status, such as "Trainee," "Entertainer," or "Reentry Permit," you cannot change the Exchange Order for a JAPAN RAIL PASS. Please note that according to strict interpretation of the Japanese Immigration Law, "Temporary Visitor" status differs even from other types of stays that are also for only short time periods.

Examples of the "Temporary Visitor" entry
status stamp

2. You are a Japanese national living in a foreign country,
  a. who is qualified to live permanently in that country, or
  b. who is married to a non-Japanese residing in a country other than Japan.

Note: Persons meeting conditions a or b above must be required to show proof of same at the point of purchase of an Exchange Order and obtaining a JAPAN RAIL PASS.

Also note: The former condition about a Japanese national "who has been living in a foreign country for ten or more years" is discontinued from 1 April 2004 purchase.



Send mail to with questions or comments about this web site.
Copyright 2002 Japan Travel Bureau (Malaysia) Sdn Bhd
Last modified: 03/31/05